Bitter melon contains a hypoglycemic compound (a plant insulin) that is highly beneficial in lowering sugar levels in blood and urine. Bitter melon juice has been shown to significantly improve glucose tolerance without increasing blood insulin levels. So here is the recipe bitter gourd Masala, it is simple & tasty recipe in south Indian cuisine, most of the people don’t like bitter gourd, because of its bitterness. To avoid the bitterness without affecting its nutrition facts, soak the chopped bitter gourd in tamarind extract or curd or lemon juice & finally discard the juice before cooking. This recipe is perfect with steam rice, dosa, parathas, idly etc.,
Bitter melon – 1 no. chopped
Onion – 1 no. (finely chopped)
Tomato – 2 nos. (finely chopped)
Ginger – 2 tsp (finely chopped)
Garlic – 2 tsp (finely chopped)
Red Chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Jeera / cumin powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 1tsp
Cumin/ jeera – 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
- At first, chop the bitter melon, soak it in tamarind extract (helps to remove the bitterness) & discard the juice.
- Keep the pan on medium flame, add oil, splutter the mustards, add cumin, fenugreek & curry leaves.
- Now add the onion, ginger, garlic & saute it for 2-4 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes & cook until mushy.
- Now add bitter melon (filter the tamarind extract) & add generous amount of water.
- Cover it with lid & cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish it with cilantro.
- Serve hot & enjoy it..